Translate

Beattie quits LA trade job

ABC.net.au

Mr  Beattie took up a three-year posting two years ago, but will leave the  job 10 months early in July.

Mr Beattie took up a three-year posting two
years ago, but will leave the job 10 months
early in July.

Former Queensland premier Peter Beattie has decided he has had enough of public life, announcing his early retirement in July as the state's Trade Commissioner to the Americas.

Mr Beattie took up a three-year posting two years ago, but will leave the job 10 months early in July.

He says he has informed Premier Anna Bligh.

"She and I had a discussion when she was in the US and I said, 'look, all the things you've asked me to do, I've basically done'," he said.

He says the Los Angeles office has achieved record trade activity this financial year and he has no more plans for public life.

"My wife would murder me - there would be a state funeral," he said.

"We're looking forward to being private citizens."

Mr Beattie says trade activity achieved by the Los Angeles office this financial year will be more than $462 million, which he says is a record.

""It's two years tomorrow since I started, so I'll be finishing a bit early, but that gives the government an opportunity to appoint someone else to carry on what's been done," he said.

"I do have a number of interests which we will be pursuing, living both in Australia and the US, hopefully very private."

No comments:

Post a Comment