Whatever happened to Brisbane's Sizzler poisoner: Is she still on the loose - Are Sizzler restaurants safe from rat poison?
Accused Sizzler poisoner flees
by Margaret Wenham
From: The Courier-Mail
January 11, 2008 11:00PM
THE woman accused of poisoning food at Sizzler restaurants nearly two years ago absconded from custody before Christmas and has not been seen since.
Her December 13 disappearance, while she was on an outing from a Wacol mental health facility, in Brisbane's west, was the second time the 59-year-old woman had escaped in six months.
She previously absconded from a secure ward of the Princess Alexandra Hospital in June last year.
Police said they were concerned for the woman's safety and did not consider her to be dangerous.
Yesterday Queensland Health refused to answer questions about the escape saying it was "unable to comment on individual cases". However, it is understood the woman was with a carer the day she fled.
Following a Mental Health Court hearing last year, the woman was found to have been of unsound mind when in January and February 2006 she allegedly laced two dishes of food with rat poison at Sizzler restaurants in Brisbane at Toowong and the City's Myer Centre.
At the time Judge Anthe Philippides ordered the women – who had an extended history of schizophrenia – be detained for involuntary treatment with only limited and escorted leave.
In her written judgment, she said the woman's treating psychiatrist had recommended long-term treatment under a forensic order due to the "likelihood of (the woman) refusing treatment and the fact that she poses a high risk of harm to others".
A spokeswoman for Sizzler confirmed the company was aware the woman was missing. She said the company did not believe their restaurants were at any risk.
Anyone with information about the woman should contact Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000.
COMMENT: The public deserves to know if this woman is still a threat. Why have the Police and Sizzler gone quiet on the issue?